An Attempt to Throwback : Jobseeker days

I’m writing this post while my dear college kiddies are in pain. Heehee  I’m actually administering their midterm examinations. Instead of keeping an eye to each of them, I decided to supposedly check my pending office work. Unfortunately, it’s 7 am here and I haven’t found the pace to start another long day ahead. I have an 8-hour office job to follow and before I end the day, I have another class to attend. Breadwinner aka Curacha mode on! 🙂

I’ve been working for almost 10 years. I never stopped working ever since day 1 of September 2004. Months before I graduate from college, I was already an active job seeker. I signed up for online employment search engines and attended job fairs. On Sunday evenings, I would ask for the classified ads section of the Manila Bulletin from my Lolo and the Philippine Daily Inquirer from my Auntie. I figured out this was way better than spending Php 40 every week. When Monday comes, I would head out to the nearest internet café to email my application letter and resume. As much as I want to personally submit my application, I still have classes to attend and subjects to pass. It was also at this age when my thrift hormones are more powerful than my shopaholic attacks. An hour of computer rental would cost around Php 30. I could have already made 30 applications in a few clicks then.  In a day, there’s no way I can visit 30 companies to submit my application. In like manner that Php 30 will never be enough to reach Ayala Avenue from my place. A little side story, I remember encountering an HR practitioner who discouraged job seekers to submit applications online. She was concerned with the viruses and all those technology related glitches. Dear Grandma HR Practitioner, looks like… pardon the lack of words. I want to be respectful. 🙂

Of the countless email I sent, my first interested employer came from the banking industry. I was asked to report in their Corporate Headquarters in (as always) the intimidating Ayala Avenue. I skipped my Wednesday classes for the employment exam and job interview. I passed the employment examination and was scheduled for an interview on another day. I felt so accomplished and excited then. All the intense emotions subsided after my first ever job interview.

I never had an idea of the questions to surface. I was doing well in the beginning of the interview. The last part unfortunately turned to an unpleasant experience. The recruitment officer asked me how many subjects or units I’m still taking. I was caught between 15 or 18 units. It took me a while to finally say 18 units. My uncertainty created an irritated face to the recruitment officer. She looked like I stepped on her newly polished shoes or I spilled a glass of coke on her creaseless uniform. Since, I never had an idea of proper decorum and unwritten rule among HR practitioners, I accepted everything as my own fault. Yes it was a mistake that I rendered an uncertain response. On the contrary, I later learned that the company’s frontliners should never manifest any roughness in attitude to clients. Regardless whether the client is at fault or not, the service provider is the last person to exhibit irritation and agitation.

After the unpleasant experience, there were job interviews that came. Everything was fine… except for another female recruitment officer from another bank situated in Makati. At that time, I was beginning to become familiar with the practices on job interview. I never caused another irritated face though. It was my first time to encounter a recruitment officer who disrespectfully prevented me from uttering my response. Perhaps, I became the more vocal and articulate applicant. As I was explaining my point, she rendered the next question with that imposing look on her face. It might be another fault but I found it a bit disrespectful. It felt like she was telling me stop and shut up.

I cannot recall how many job interviews and examinations I attended later. I may sound biased but my interview and exam with my current employer was the fastest and the least that pressured me. I emailed my application letter and resume on Monday morning. I was notified through SMS that I’m scheduled for interview on Wednesday afternoon. The interview lasted less than 15 minutes. I wasn’t expecting anything from that quick duration of the interview. The week after, I was asked to take the employment exams. Within the same week, I was asked to report for final interview with the company president. A few minutes after, I was hired and was requested to process my medical documents. In two weeks, I acquired my first job. Since then, I never stopped working. I remained with the same company and right now, I’m wearing the shoes of the company’s frontliner. I’m a teacher to these college kiddies who will soon have their own unique employment stories to tell.

Bell rings… “Kids, pass all papers forward.” It’s my time to bear the pain of checking another set of papers. Despite the karma (haha), no I will never frown and pass the blame to our clients.  SMILE! 


2 thoughts on “An Attempt to Throwback : Jobseeker days

  1. Nakakainggit nmn Dianne, ten years sana mkaabot dn aq 6 yrs pa lng aq sa work and stagnant pero ok lng hehe..andami q dn experience na ganyan..lucky is my present company hinire nla aq hahaha..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s